Socio-Cultural Factors of Consumption of Medicines in Cross-National and Intra-Ukrainian Dimensions
Socio-cultural factors of consumption of medicines concerning the patient and the medical staff are considered. Author analyzes the relevant scientific discourse and the experience of empirical research carried out, in particular, with the use of tools for social values study, proposed by of R. Inglegart, G. Hofstede, S. Schwartz, G. Eisenck, and others. On the basis of the secondary analysis of databases of the Eurobarometer survey, the peculiarities of drug consumption in the EU and Ukraine are analyzed. It is found that there are significant correlations between socio-economic, institutional and socio-cultural indicators that characterize the quality of life in EU societies as well as in Ukrainian and practices of the drugs consumption. The revealed results point to the social (socio-cultural, institutional and economic) embeddedness of drug use practices. It turns out that the most adequate theoretical and methodological "framework" to explain these findings is neo-institutionalism, which draws the attention of researchers to the social preconditions for the success of managerial innovations. In the process of reforming the health sector, and the pharmaceutical institute in particular, in today's Ukrainian society, the relevance of such a study is increasing the potential of government reform programs.
2. Dew, K., Norris, P., Gabe, J., Chamberlain, K., Hodgetts, D. (2014). Moral discourses and pharmaceuticalised governance in households. Soc Sci Med. Vol. 131, 272–279. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2014.03.006
3. Gaygısız, Ü., Lajunen, T. (2017). Socio-economic factors, cultural values, national personality and antibiotics use: A cross-cultural study among European countries. Journal of Infection and Public Health. Vol. 10, Issue 6, 755–760. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiph.2016.11.011
4. Goossens, H., Ferech, M., Vander Stichele, R., Elseviers, M. (2005). ESAC Project Group. Outpatient anti-biotic use in Europe and association with resistance: a cross-national database study. Lancet. 365 (9459), 579–87. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(05)17907-0
5. Thomas, F., Depledge, M. (2015). Medicine „misuse‟: implications for health and environmental sustainability. Soc Sci Med.,143, 81–7.
6. Zaharan, N., Williams, D., Bennett, K. (2014). Prescribing of antidiabetic therapies in Ireland: 10-year trends 2003–2012. Ir J Med Sci. Vol. 183, 311–18. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11845-013-1011-1
7. Ministry of health. Pharmaceutical sector (2017). Retrieved August 18, 2018 from: http://moz.gov.ua/ ua/portal/ms_pharm_sector/
8. European strategic action plan on antibiotic resistance (2018). Retrieved August 17, 2018 from: http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/147734/wd14E_AntibioticResistance_111380.pdf?ua=1
9. Flash Eurobarometer 444 Antimicrobial Resistance (2016). Retrieved August 21, 2018 from: https://dbk.gesis.org/dbksearch/sdesc2.asp?no=6785&db=e&doi=10.4232/1.12686
10. Kaufmann, D., Kraay, A., Mastruzzi, M. (2010). The Worldwide Governance Indicators: Methodology and Analytical Issues. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper. No. 5430. Retrieved August 12, 2018 from: https://ssrn.com/abstract=1682130. https://doi.org/10.1596/1813-9450-5430
11. Special Eurobarometer 445. “Antimicrobial Resistance” (2016). Retrieved August 05, 2018 from: http://ec.europa.eu/COMMFrontOffice/PublicOpinion
12. World Bank Policy (2018). Research Working Paper. No. 5430. Retrieved August 11, 2018 from: https://ssrn.com/abstract=1682130
13. World Health Organization. Antimicrobial resistance: global report on surveillance (2014). Retreived August 02, 2018 from: http://www.who.int/drugresistance/documents/surveillancereport/en/
14. World Value Survey Association (2014). World Value Survey wave 6 Official Data File. Retrieved August 18, 2018 from http://www.worldvaluessurvey.org/
15. The 7 Schwartz cultural value orientation... Retreived August 15, 2018 from https://www.researchgate.net/ publication/304715744_The_7_Schwartz_cultural_value_orientation_scores_for_80_countries